You will know when it exists -- Obscure journalism direct from our man on the ground.

Sunday, 4 August 2013

Starting a Male Fashion Blog < FAIL >



















Most of the clothes I own I've been given, the rest come from Sports Direct. That means my wardrobe only really gets updated twice a year: birthday and Christmas. 

This April I was given a £45 gift voucher for Amazon. Seeing as I can download music and films illegally and books are for losers, I decided to buy clothes. With all the new apparel that this would bring into my life I knew it was the right time to start a male fashion blog. I was reading a lot of blogs at the time and most of them were begging to be parodied. Here is some of my inspiration.


Top 3 male fashion blogs


This Boy Ben

London Mckenzie

Chivalrous


My intention was to make a spoof fashion blog. I wanted it to be as cringe as possible. To make this work I had to make it seem like it was not a joke at all. So I had to be myself, keep it real, and as I wasn't a naturally inclined fashion blogger, it would prove to be tricky. I would have to adopt a new persona for a while.


Choosing a name for your blog


First of all I had to pick a catchy URL that would also be the blogger-brand I'd go by. Some options I considered were:

  • ChrisXcouture.Wordpress.com (Chris Cross Couture -  too high fashion) 

  • SportsDirectFashion.Wordpress.com (too sponsor hungry)

  • SportySkaterStyle.Wordpress.com (just too much)

  • ClothesForBlokes.Wordpress.com (:-0)


In the end I decided upon ChrisGetsDressed.Wordpress.Com (had a nice ring to it)

















I thought my strap line 'Chris Gets Dressing' was particularly clever using 'Gets' to mean 'Understands' in addition to something that I do.

The header image (above) was not actually going to be this one. I was going to do a digital illustration of myself.

Next I wrote an about me section, where I defined my style as nautical-inspired-city-practical.

#mystyle

The clothes arrived and I organised a photoshoot but I never got round to posting the result or doing anything at all on Chris Gets Dressed. I had so many great ideas but my heart just wasn't in it. 

However I can no longer deprive you, the public, of the magic that was created when I posed in my garden wearing brand new outfits. So here it is. I think I would have called the article: 



3 Spring/Summer looks for £45*

From spring showers to summer sunshine, use these four simple items to create a range of outfits that are great for BBQs in the garden or football in the park.

Chris wears:
- Hanes Mens Slim Fitted High V-Neck Cotton T Shirt £4.08
- Piazzaitalia Light Knitted Cardigan (Turned out to be completely different to the online picture) £6.99
- Pierre Cardin C Chino (Good trousers but the buttons keep falling off - also got a free mug because the order was fulfilled by Sports Direct) £10

- Unisex American Style Fleece Hoodie (Forrest green) £11.99

*All available from amazon.co.uk - prices do not include P+P

























14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks man, glad you liked it - I hope you manage to keep on blogging!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      We at The Little Box Boutique would sincerely like to apologise for this posting.
      The media freelancer we employed took it upon himself to spam every blog he came across regardless of its content.
      I can see from your blog that you have taken great care and effort creating something very special, so once again please accept our apologies.
      By the way, LOVE the Grey/Blue jumper..... The one with the zip.
      Livz

      Delete
  3. Like your pics. You look young and stylish in these clothing. See more here for Cheap FLATSEVEN designer clothing men online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris, I regularly find myself hunting for good blogs as I like to get as engaged as possible and I have to say that what I have just read was not only the most entertaining but really endearing. Your honesty is refreshing and I admire the fact that you're just being you. I will definitely be putting you on my regulars list- Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, really appreciate your kind comment. I will try and keep posting on here but I have just moved to France and am working on starting a new blog focused on cycling, learning french and drinking Bordeaux wine!

      Delete
  6. Very interesting, excellent post. Thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing more from you. Do you run any other sites?

    Click Here :-Belize Property!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buy Mens T-Shirts online- Find wide range of printed, designer, funny, long, graphic, plain, vintage, logo, slim fit, cotton T shirts on Trendin.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buy Trousers online

    Classicpolo is one of the best brands for exclusive collections . you can Buy shirts online, buy t-shirts online ,buy formal shirts online from our store @classicpolos.com. we have widest range of collections. you can choose the best pants . Buy pants online and Buy trousers online from the store at best price

    ReplyDelete
  9. WE ARE FROM INDIA DOING GARMENTS SURPLUS & STOCK IF ANY INTERESTED PLS CONTACT

    stocklot07@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Blog is very Nice & also wonderful collection. But I prefer Tigerleash one of the Top Fashion Agency In Uk For My for my fashion Style.UK’s premier fashion agency and distributor Tigerleash,this Brand are very good of their services.

    ReplyDelete